Articles and Resources
Tutorials and Guides
A Wiki Walk-Through
, from TeachersFirst. A great tutorial about what a wiki is, why to use wikis in education, and how to use wikis in education.
Welcome to the World of Wikis
- Help pages put together to use with primary schools getting
mobile website designs in the UK
. Thanks to wikispaces for the help they have given me! Good Luck!
Using Wiki in Education
- An article at the Science of
Spectroscopy; (Broken link!)
Articles and Resources in Spanish
by Francisco Muñoz de la Peña
Video: Wikis in Plain English
- A short and concise introduction to wikis (3:52) produced by Lee Lefever for
The Common Craft Show
Wiki Uses in Education
- A collaboration of ideas from teachers on how they use wikis in the classroom
Wiki While you Work
- A video tutorial lecture by Mark Wagner
Waarvoor gebruik je een wiki
(how to use wikis in Dutch) - A short list of ideas to use wikis in education.
(how to use Wikis in German) - An Introduction for the technically challenged with examples from Wikispaces
This site contains a directory of patterns and anti-patterns, and a guide to major stages of wiki adoption.
The Wiki Way
workshop notes and presentation by Rachel Boyd
¿Qué es una wiki?
La respuesta a
qué es una wiki
y un listado de algunas
de interés en castellano en
What is wiki?
, in spanish and a spanish wiki list
Fountain, Renee. (2005). Wiki pedagogy,
Dossiers technopedagogiques (Dossiers pratiques)
. Retrieved March 20, 2007, from
. - "This article endeavours to denote and promote pedagogical experimentations concerning a Free/Open technology called a "Wiki". An intensely simple, accessible and collaborative hypertext tool Wiki software challenges and complexifies traditional notions of - as well as access to - authorship, editing, and publishing. Usurping official authorizing practices in the public domain poses fundamental - if not radical - questions for both academic theory and pedagogical practice."
Wikis for Teaching and Learning
- From Communications of the Association for Information Systems (CAIS), Volume 18, Article 1. The authors interviewed several university instructors who use wikis for coursework and created helpful use cases. Excerpt from abstract: "(1) Wikis can be used for a variety of tasks ranging from signup sheet for students to self organize, to undertaking business analyses, to analyzing policy positions; (2) Instructor support and facilitation is key; and (3) Ease-of-use issues are present but do not preclude success." Login and Password required. (article available from:
The wiki as knowledge respository: Using a wiki in a community of practice to strengthen K-12 education
. Published in the November/December 2008 issue of
(Volume 52, Number 6)
but available at the author's blog
The article examines how a Wikispaces wiki was used to connect teachers' knowledge in a large department of high school teachers.
Wikis in the World Language Classroom: Transforming Teaching, Learning, & Teacher Preparation with Technology
- This academic paper is presented on a wiki to demonstrate the ways in which wikis can support multimedia authoring and peer review of scholarly work. It explores the use of a wiki as a tool for developing literacies that initiate, implement, and sustain transformative educational and social change in preservice teachers, world language methods courses, teacher preparation programs, and the K-12 schools they serve. Wikis can serve as mediating tools that draw "technological pedagogical content knowledge" (
Mishra & Koehler, 2006
) into a single actionable frame, helping teachers to consider students’ perspectives more carefully.
Mobile Website Design UK
Wiki use can also spur critical consideration of personal pedagogy, as well as issues such as curriculum, authority, access, ethics, knowledge, and power. By doing so, wikis have the potential to transform teaching and learning.
Interviews, Podcasts, and Discussions
interview on 8/24/06 with
: "Wikis--What Are They, and Why Use Them in Education?"
Interview: The State of Wikis in Education
- An interview with author, Stewart Mader, conducted by a student for a course project. Many great ideas for use in education, as well as, helpful links.
Discussion Forums and Lists
Wikis in Education Mailing List
, a place to exchange ideas and get help if you have any questions.
Other Collections of Educational Wikis
Mobile Web Design London
Sharing Wikis in Education
- A non profit education charity wiki where teachers can create or share wikis
Contributions to http://educationalwikis.wikispaces.com/ are licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 2.5 License
Portions not contributed by visitors are Copyright 2017 Tangient LLC
TES: The largest network of teachers in the world
Turn off "Getting Started"